Summit Literacy Foundation (SLF)

Summit Literacy Foundation (SLF) exists to fix the gap in Uganda’s Education system. The structure of Uganda’s Education system is unfair for the unprivileged and poor part of the society which forms almost 80 percent of the population.

On one hand you have the rich people in urban areas who take their children to exclusive schools both local and international. On the other hand you have very poor parents who take their children to poor educational institutions which are in slums and rural areas or the countryside. These are two different worlds.

In the rich schools, a student will pay about 1 million to 5 million Ugandan shillings which is almost USD300 – 1500. In Uganda there are very few people out of the 37 million people who can afford that kind of Education. You will find that 10 percent of the people can afford to pay such fees. The remaining 90 percent will go to traditional good schools that are run by the government and other private people e.g Namagunga, Namilyango, St. Mary’s Kisubi.

These schools formed by missionaries give good education the problem is in entry. Never the less, you pay not less than USD450 per term. This is not easy for an average Ugandan to afford. What remains is that many people are going to government funded schools which have been brought about by UPE.

These schools much as they are many, are in dire need for support. Public schools are poorly managed. You go to a school and the basic amenities do not exist- no library, books, Internet and computers supplied do not work. These students are to study computer but do so theoretically.

Winning Aspiration (Our Vision)

A recognized leader in the provision of practical skills and reading materials to schools in Uganda

Our Mission

Empower needy schools with essential reading materials through linkages to great schools and educators globally.

Spread the love